Presented here are a simplified set volleyball rules to help beginners start enjoying the game without forcing them to go through the intricacies of the full rules.
- Like tennis and badminton, the court is divided, by a net, into 2 equal halves. During play, each team remains on their own side and defend the floor.
- 6 players pre team on court.
- 1st team to 25 points wins.
Of the 6 players 3 are to the front and 3 to the back, with the back player at the left being the server.
- Serve from behind the back line.
- The serve must be hit with the hand.
- After serving the server moves back onto court to help their team.
- The serve is allowed to clip the net on the way over, but must not touch the antenna nor pass over or outside the antenna.
- Once the ball has been served ANY player can move ANYWHERE on court and even chase the ball out of court if needed.
- If the serve is going out leave it to hit the floor - if you touch it before it lands then you must play the ball back.
- The serve is not allowed to touch the roof.
Hitting the ball
- The ball may be hit with any part of the body (hand, head, chest, even the foot! . . .) with the exception of the serve which must to be hit with the hand.
- The hit has to be clean - no scoops, catch-and-rethrows, dunks etc.
- Your team have up to 3 touches to return the ball over the net - although it can be returned by the 1st or 2nd touch.
- A player mustn't have 2 consecutive hits - but having the 1st and 3rd hit is OK.
In the rally
- Players mustn't touch the top of the net.
- The only part of a players body that is allowed to land on the opponents court is the foot, and then only if part of it is above the centre line.
- The ball mustn't touch the roof, walls or posts.
- The ball CAN touch the net on the way over providing it does not touch the antenna.
- The ball is allowed to go into the net and bounce out - the rally continues and this does not count as one of the 3 touches.
- If the ball touches the court floor on the opposite side your team wins the point.
- If the ball touches one of the opposition players and then the floor/wall your team wins a point.
- If one of your players hits the ball out of court, the others can chase the ball and hit it back into court or over the net.
- If the other team hits the ball more than 3 times your team wins a point.
- Blocking = jumping at the net with the arms up to stop the ball coming over the net.
- Remember, players mustn't touch the net.
- Blocking a serve isn't allowed.
- A back court player mustn't take part in a block - even if they don't touch the ball
- A block does not count as a regular hit - so your team still have 3 more hits, also if you block then you ARE also allowed to make the 1st hit.
- Attack = whilst in the attack zone,
hitting the ball from above the height of the net
towards the other side
- A back court player is not allowed to attack.
- A back court player IS allowed to hit the ball from BELOW the height of the net whilst in the attack zone
- A back court player IS allowed to hit the ball from above the height of the net whilst in the DEFENCE zone.
- If PART of the ball is over the net then it's OK to attack the ball (even if it's mostly on the other side).
- If ALL of the ball is on the other side of the net then the only shot that can be played is a block (ie not a hit)
Rotation - everybody gets to play in every position
- Every time your team wins the serve from the other team all your players rotate their position on court - clockwise.
- If you loose the serve your team doesn't rotate.
- If you keep the serve your team doesn't rotate.
- Up to 6 substitutions per set
- Substitutions take place before the serve
- Once player A has replaced player B then player B can only be substituted by player A
- Up to 2 time-outs per set of 30 seconds each
- Time-outs take place before the serve
- The winner is the 1st team to reach 25 points (by 2 clear points)
- If you serve and get the point you keep the serve, if you don't get the point, the other team gets the serve AND also a point. (ie the score changes EVERY time there is a serve)
- Note: if the opposition only need one point to win and you mess up a serve, they win without even touching the ball